Pages

Thursday, December 19, 2013

Hiking Research - Episode 1

Welcome to the pilot episode of hiking research!

Since I'm pretty new at this whole hiking thing and I have this blog, I figured I post all the information that I learn about hiking on here so you can journey with me into this whole new culture of people.

The Clymb
I suppose I'd say that I first really started getting to know the hiking culture when I was looking for a good backpack to buy.  My good friend, Anson Brune, turned me on to this website called The Clymb.


This is pretty much a groupon type website, specifically for outdoor gear.  So far, from what I can tell, they have some pretty kick ass deals on everything you'd ever need for hiking.  Like a better looking REI Outlet (http://www.rei.com/outlet/).  By the way, I think REI needs a revamped website.

I haven't pulled the trigger on any of the products yet, but this will definitely be on my radar when looking for hiking gear deals.

SoCal Hikes
Remember the site I mentioned in my first post - http://www.mtsanjacinto.info/skyline/mainmenu.html - (how could you forget it was only two posts ago).  Well at the bottom there's a link to SoCal Hikes C2C.  Like the curious cat I am, I followed that link and found a pretty sweet site!


This looks just like what I want to do!  It really is a shame they stopped posting in 2011; I guess the author moved to NorCal, one reason I didn't name blog something specific; but this is a pretty good hiking guide to tons of great hikes throughout Southern California.

EveryTrail
I stumbled onto this site from the SoCal Hikes blog.  The author posted one of his routes via this website, so I looked up it and got as giddy as a school girl.  It must contain thousands of trails all over the world.  Anyone can use their GPS to record their route and post it on this website.


So of course I created a profile on there!  Now I have a way to get my trails onto the interwebs so I can have them on my blog rather than taking a screenshot as I was planning to.  Also, I will definitely be scouring this site for new and exciting trails to take you guys on!

Well that is all I can muster for now.  So until next time, Keep Calm and Hike On

Josh


No comments:

Post a Comment